What is BioCHAR?
Why is it Critical to Regenerative Bio-Fertility?
Biochar is a charcoal-like substance that’s made by burning organic bio-mass from forestry wastes in a controlled burn process called pyrolysis. Although it resembles charcoal, biochar is uniquely different, it is produced using a specific process to eliminate heavy metal contamination and safely store carbon. During the pyrolysis process, organic materials such as wood chips, saw dust, leaf litter are burned in a container with very little oxygen. During the pyrolysis process, the organic material is converted into biochar, a stable form of carbon that can NOT easily escape into the atmosphere. In fact, biochar actually reduces CO2 emissions related to ‘climate change’ through the sequestration of carbon. BioPlex BioPrill homogenized particle fusion technology has revolutionized the end-product spreadability and extended formulation flexibility that has resulted in 8 NEW BioPlex Regenerative Bio-Fertility products.
In terms of physical attributes, BioPlex BULK LifeCycles BioCHAR s black, highly porous, lightweight, fine-grained (1-3 mm particle BULK, 1-1.5 mm BIO-Prill) and has a large surface area. Our BioPlex BULK LifeCycles BioCHAR has an exceptional Carbon concentration averaging 88 percent with the remaining composition consisting of nitrogen, hydrogen and oxygen among other elements.
BioCHAR can be traced back to an ancient Amazonian practice.
Although biochar technology is considered a more recent strategy for carbon sequestration, the practice of adding chared biomass to improve soil quality is not really new. Todays regenerative bio-fertility transformational protocols emulates a 2,000-year-old practice in the Amazonian basin, where native people amended soils with biochar to create areas of rich, fertile soils known as “dark earth”.
Whether these Amazonian soils were intentionally made or are simply a by-product of farming and/or cooking or land clearing practices still remains a mystery. But one thing’s for sure: the fertility and productivity of “dark earth” areas are significantly higher than the otherwise famously infertile soils of the Amazon. This explains why crops grown in “dark earth” grow faster, yield more and are more nutrient-dense than plants grown in much poorer neighboring soils. Quite remarkably, after centuries have passed, “dark earth” area soils continue to hold carbon even today.
Plant, Soil, Root and Rhizosphere benefits would include but not be limited to:
• decrease nutrient input • decrease pesticide input • enhancing soil structure • reduce plant stress • improving rhizosphere bio-habitat properties • reduce nutrient leaching • improving CEC conductivity • decreasing soil acidity • increase plant health in clay soils • improve drought tolerance • reduce plant decline and mortality • increasing water retention • improving soil porosity and aeration • reducing anaerobic “black layer” symptoms and severity • establishing root environments less suitable for anaerobic root borne pathogens • improve nutrient retention and mobility • improve the overall HEALTH of the Soil – Root – Rhizosphere and Plant.
How does BioCHAR fit into todays Turf and Ornamental management practices?
Whether managing soil and plant fertility at a private or public golf course, a natural turf sports stadium, arboritum, nursery, cannabis grower, a municipal park, an abandon mine property, designing urban and/or suburban landscape plantings or just growing crops in a small family farm operation – poor, clay, compact or depleated soils continue to be a major problem and concern everywhere. To help remediate this burgeoning problem, the exact same agronomic biochar enhancements and benefits the Amazonians discovered two (2) millenium ago can be effectively re-established in todays eco-system thru the systematic integration of BioPlex BioCHAR and/or BioPlex Regenerative Fertility products.
Please feel free to send questions and comments to:
Larry J Hershberger | firstname.lastname@example.org | Subject: Bio-Fertility
Sr. Research and Development Agronomist
EarthSOURCE LifeCycles Product Group | ✦ BioCHAR
- ✦ BioPlex Easy Spread BASIC BioCHAR
- ✦ BioPlex BioCHAR Bio's + PGIR
- ✦ BioPlex BULK BioCHAR - 1,600 lb Tote
- ✦ BioPlex CFU DIGESTER
- ✦ BioPlex 4-SEASON Landscape Granules
- ✦ BioPlex ULTIMATE Plant Maintenance G
- ✦ BioPlex ULTIMATE Ornamental Installation G
- ✦ BioPlex CFU INOCULANT
- BioPlex Foliar FUSION BIO'S
- BioPlex FULVIC FUSION plus PGIR's
- BioPlex Ultimate Plant Health 4-3-4 + PGIR's
- BioPlex 12-8-8 BIO-Mycorrhizal Planting Tablets
- BioPlex 4-3-4 BIO-MAXX Planting Tablets
Bio BASIC Products
- BioPlex BIO BASIC 5-3-1
- BioPlex BIO BASIC 12-3-5
- BioPlex BIO BASIC 20-4-5
- BioPlex BIO BASIC 4-6-4
- BioPlex Fertile FUSION 12-4-6
- BioPlex Kick STARTER 5-10-5
- BioPlex JumpSTART 8-0-8
- BioPlex ALL OCEAN 3-3-2 + L-Amino's
- BioPlex TOTAL INSTALLATION Transplant
- BioPlex STRESS STOPPER Plant-Soil Rehab
- BioPlex Granular Endo-Ecto Mycorrhizal
- BioPlex Water Soluble E-E Mycorrhizal | PGIR
- BioPlex 5-in-1 COMPLETE Planting Granules
- BioPlex 1•2•3 BareRoot GEL